Many of the BIDs have introduced initiatives to help the environment, including public recycling, ecodistricts, electronic recycling programs and a range of planting and maintenance services:
- The Capitol Hill BID, the DowntownDC BID and the Golden Triangle BID have installed public recycling cans.
- The Mount Vernon Triangle BID has a biodiversity initiative to encourage bees, birds and other wildlife to the area.
- The Capitol Riverfront BID programs and maintains the 5.5 acre Yards Park, which has landscaped gardens, fountains, and an amazing view of the Anacostia River.
- The Golden Triangle BID holds an annual cellphone recycling event where participants trade in old cellphones for flowers.
- The DowntownDC BID has developed an ecodistrict, a neighborhood-wide effort to reduce energy consumption and make the area more sustainable.
- BIDs plant flowers and trees. Last year BIDs planted 36,000 flowering bulbs and plants.